About

History

The historical roots of the bilstein group go back more than 175 years. Find out how a small hammer mill became a globally successful group of companies. At that time, the merchant Ferdinand Bilstein laid the foundation stone for a company that today operates on a global scale

1844
1880
1880
1897
1921
1923
1936
1939
1946
1951
1952
1954
1981
1983
1988
1994
2012
2017
2017

1844

Foundation of the company "Ferdinand Bilstein"

 

1844 to 1880

Europe-wide trade with manufactured goods made of steel, iron and brass. The steel forge primarily produces tools and equipment for the iron industry, including drills, files, chains and hinges.

 

1880

Foundation of the company "Ferdinand Bilstein junior". With the decision to implement in-house production, a strategic realignment of the company takes place. The expansion of the factory goes hand in hand with the purchase of the first steam engine.

The core competence during this time is the production of turned nuts and bolts.

1897

Purchase of the first automatic screw machines, which considerably accelerates the production process.

1921

With the rise of the automotive industry, the strategic reorientation towards the supplier business takes place. The patented "febi spring bolt", which will be presented at the German motor show in Berlin, serves as a reference product.

 

1923

Registration of the trademark "Febi" (today "febi) at the Reichspatentamt.

 

1936

The production focus changes towards automotive spare parts and spring bolts. In addition, the first repair kits for kingpins are developed and sold.

 

1939

The company is classified as "war-important" due to the production of high-quality precision parts. Production has to be restructured according to National Socialist specifications.

 

1946

Shortly after the end of the war, the Allies granted a "permit to reopen", and the reconstruction of the largely destroyed production begins.

 

1951

In addition to the production of precision parts for automobiles and motorcycles, the production range of supplier parts for car and truck manufacturers, including spring bolt sets, axle bolts and wheel bolts, is expanded.

 

1952

The establishment of our own training workshop allows the targeted training of required specialists. These are becoming increasingly rare in times of huge economic growth and development. By the end of the 1950s, the febi brand had established itself as an original equipment manufacturer.

 

1954

Foundation of "Süd-West-Autoteile GmbH" in Dietzenbach and introduction of the "SWAG" product brand. In 2000, Ferdinand Bilstein GmbH + Co. KG took over this company.

 

1981

Constant enrichment of the product range with wear parts from partner manufacturers. Start of internationalisation: The first foreign subsidiary, "febi UK Ltd", is founded in England in 1990. Another 20 will follow by 2017.

 

1983

"febi Präzisionstechnik" enters CNC technology. By using modern control technology, even workpieces with complex shapes can be produced automatically. In addition, a separate programming department is set up and computer-aided quality assurance is introduced.

 

1988

Foundation of the company "Automotive Distributors Ltd" in England. The "Blue Print" product brand is launched in 1994. The company will be taken over by Ferdinand Bilstein GmbH + Co. KG in 2011.

 

1994

febi Präzisionstechnik is a supplier for the automotive industry and its own spare parts segment. In addition, precision parts are manufactured for selected industrial customers. Continuous expansion of production capacities and manufacturing competencies. These include turning, milling, drilling, hardening, grinding and assembly. Introduction of the current febi logo.

 

2012

Introduction of the "bilstein group" umbrella brand as a unifying element for the febi, SWAG and Blue Print product brands.
 

2017

febi Präzisionstechnik becomes "bilstein group Engineering". With the introduction of the divisional brand, the production activities within the bilstein group are grouped together. The newly built production hall with a production area of 10,000 m2 is opened.
 

2017

Introduction of the bilstein group partsfinder, initially with the passenger car ranges of febi, SWAG and Blue Print.
 

Change is Our Tradition

In 2019, the bilstein group could look back on 175 years of company history. The video takes you on a journey through the history of the replacement parts specialist and shows how the bilstein group has reinvented itself time and again and opened up new markets. Take a look!

Rooted in Ennepetal – On Site Worldwide

The company in the 1950s. The building was demolished in 2018.

Home  – for us, that is where we grew up. Ferdinand Bilstein (the company behind the umbrella brand bilstein group) has been domiciled in Ennepetal, Germany since 1844. Our headquarters is a symbol of our regional heritage and the beating heart of the company.

The original building, where the story of Ferdinand Bilstein began 175 years ago, still exists today (although without the factory extension of yesteryear).

More then 1,100 people work on the Ennepetal site today

Nevertheless, we have been pressing ahead with internationalisation of the company for many decades, so that we can offer our customers the highest degree of market proximity and first-hand services.

Our first subsidiary was founded in Great Britain in 1990. Another 20 have since been added all around the globe. Be it in Ennepetal, Singapore or Moscow: the bilstein group is on your doorstep worldwide.

7th Generation of Family Management – With Dual Leadership

Despite the bilstein group’s rapid growth, we have remained faithful to our origins: The business is still family-owned today. Meanwhile, the seventh proprietor generation has taken responsibility for the economic success of the corporate group.

1844
1891
1900
1914
1936
1951
1971
1982
2008
2010

1844

Company founded by Ferdinand Daniel Bilstein (1813-1890)

 

1891

Following the death of Ferdinand Daniel Bilstein (1890), his son Robert Ferdinand also dies one year later. The son's widow, Marie Bilstein (1848 – 1924), takes over the running of the business.

 

1900

Hans Carl Ferdinand Bilstein (1878-1947), the oldest son of Marie Bilstein, joins the company

1914

Paul Julius Bilstein (1886-1950) enters company management

1936

Ferdinand Hermann Bilstein (1913-1967) comes on board

 

1951

Ferdinand Hermann Bilstein is joined by brother-in-law Arnold Siekermann (1917-1987) in running the company

 

1971

Rolf Bilstein (born 1943) comes on board

 

1982

Dieter Siekermann (born 1945) joins the management team

 

2008

Karsten Schüssler-Bilstein (born 1971) becomes a Group Managing Director

 

2010

Jan Siekermann (born 1979) completes the dual leadership of the company.

 

Philosophy

Together We Are Strong
 

All business activities within the bilstein group are based on clearly formulated guidelines. This plants "we" as the focus point, and creates the basis for a family environment and exceptional working conditions.

Our most important goal is customer satisfaction: because customer success is also the success of the bilstein group. Partnerships designed for long-term cooperation are based on mutual benefit and are characterised by open, respectful business relationships and reliable services.

Part of our responsibility also covers nature. The bilstein group strives to conserve and preserve the environment as far as possible through the economical use of resources and modern production processes.

Aerial photo of the company headquarters in Ennepetal, Germany

Think Globally, Act Regionally
 

The bilstein group's regional roots are an integral part of its corporate orientation.

We make our contributions by fulfilling public requirements and are committed to social projects and training initiatives.

Since the company was founded in 1844, we have remained loyal to our main location in Ennepetal. A considerable part of the investment volume is allocated to the expansion and conversion of the headquarters.

In this way, we are not only shaping our own future, but are also returning part of our ongoing success back to society and to the region.

Sustainability

The bilstein group attaches particular importance to sustainability. We take various measures to conserve resources, save energy and pollute the environment as little as possible.

Through the system partnership with PARTSLIFE, the environmental management service provider for the automotive industry, the bilstein group makes an active contribution to waste avoidance and disposal.

We design new buildings on the basis of current energy guidelines. The production site in Ennepetal, which was built in 2017, was equipped with a photovoltaic system which cover 50% of our current electricity requirements.

We also avoid producing the greenhouse gas CO2, which is produced during conventional electricity production, and use a natural, inexhaustible energy source. A direct contribution to the protection of our environment.

bilstein group is a global company and accessible worldwide.

Address

Ferdinand Bilstein GmbH + Co. KG
Wilhelmstraße 47
58256 Ennepetal
Germany

    

  +49 2333 911-0

  +49 2333 911-444

    

  open in Maps

    

  info@bilsteingroup.com

Sales Contacts

Please choose your country:

The bilstein group is a family-run group of companies in its seventh generation, with headquarters in the heart of North Rhine-Westphalia. The internationally renowned product brands febi, SWAG and Blue Print are united under its strong umbrella.

Press contact

Sebastian Schürmann

Corporate Communications

   

  +49 2333 911-7278

   

 presse@bilsteingroup.com

Press Releases

Search press releases
no news in this list.

Logos

bilstein group JPG, PNG, EPS

Logos: febi, SWAG, Blue Print, bilstein group

Pictures

Aerial photo of the company headquarters in Ennepetal, Germany  

Brand flagging at the company headquarters in Ennepetal, Germany  

bilstein group logistics centre in Ennepetal , Germany  

bilstein group logistics centre in Aubergenville, France  

Fully automatic high-bay warehouse  

Production site of bilstein group Engineering in Ennepetal, Germany  

Precision machining at every stage of production  

Machining centre with robot automation  

Testing laboratory for quality assurance